Teaching Young Learners Course (IHTYL)
The Teaching Young Learners course is ideal for teachers who need to plan and deliver engaging and effective classes for children between the ages of 6 and 16. It is suitable for recently qualified EFL teachers or teachers with some experience interested in improving their young learner teaching techniques and developing new skills. It is also designed to meet the needs of teachers with experience who would like to discover new ideas and tools.
The course is designed by International House World Organisation and is acknowledged by Cambridge Assessment English. On successful completion of the course you will receive International House Tbilisi IHTYL (Teaching Young Learners) certificate.
During the online Teaching Young Learners course you will develop your awareness of what children aged 6 to 16 are capable of, what they enjoy and what strategies work best to motivate them to learn. In addition to instilling confidence in potential employers that you are able to teach young learners effectively, you will gain more confidence and learn how to create engaging, interesting lessons for young learners.
What we will focus on:
- Improving classroom management skills
- Dealing with misbehavior in YL classes
- Dealing with mixed ability classes
- Adapting activities and coursebooks for your learners
- Deepening knowledge of your students (YL) psychology
- Revisiting frameworks for skills and language lessons
- A wide variety of activities suitable for younger learners
- Effective planning and creating resources/ materials for your classes
- Projects based learning and storytelling activities
- Presenting and practicing language and developing language skills
The course includes 24 hours of input sessions, 2 hours of observations of experienced teachers and 4 X30 min observed lessons at two different levels and with two different age groups. You will be observed in your own classes (or arranged classes) by an experienced and qualified trainers and receive feedback after every lesson. During the course you will have to complete written assignments.
The course includes:
- Observed teaching (either specially arranged classes at IH or your own classes)
- Assisted lesson planning
- Input sessions
- Observations of experienced teachers at IH and videoed observations
- Completing written assignments
- Tutorials: personalised guidance and advice
- Reading and researching some relevant literature
- You need to be minimum B2 level (CEFR)
- The input sessions are run at weekends (Saturday/Sunday)
- You will have online & face-to-face input sessions
- Your will be observed in your classes once a week
- The duration of the course is 4 weeks
- Fee: 280 GEL